Saturday, January 8, 2011

January 8th, 2010

"Accept challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory." -George S. Patton

It seems like every time I turn around I am faced with another challenge to overcome. Each challenge a brick in the road on my way to Oz, or a minute in the crysalis while I become a butterfly. As much as I want to just hurry up and reach my full potential, internally I know that I would never be able to even recognize a small portion of the potential within me if I didn't have new trials to navigate.

After all, how could I possibly get along in life without knowing how to wheel a much-to-large wheelchair without touching my elbow to the armrest? And how important is it for me to refine my tetris techniques to see how many pill containers I can fit in my purse while still carrying the all-important waiting-room-time-killing-tools i.e. Nintendo DSi, crossword book, notepad and drawing pad, pens, mechanical pencils, colored pencils, etc.

There are times I don't feel like accepting challenges. Sometimes all I want to do is curl up in bed and watch Disney movies, pretending I was 8 and home from elementary school with nothing more than a stomach ache that I have wildly exaggerated out of proportion. Days I feel tired of struggling. Tired of the strain and effort of keeping my head above water when so many lead weights seem to be getting tied to my toes.

And then there are times where I did give up on everything. Where I gave up on life. I was unwilling to accept one more challenge, and tried to leave this life ahead of my time. And all I did in that action, was create more challenges to overcome, and get reminded of a valuable lesson.

That each day that presents a challenge, is a blessing. That each challenge, no matter how overwhelming it may seem, or impossible it may appear to be-- is a new opportunity to open another door and get that much closer to recognizing my true self. And I never know how much further it will be before I'm ready to unfurl my wings. I only know that I am getting closer to that day.

And I am thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment